Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Last Week of Break in Oxford

So I've decided to come back to school a week early to work during sorority week. It's been really nice so far. I moved in on Monday, started working on Tuesday. In the meantime, I've been reading. I've already read "The Fiction Class". It was a really good book, and it came with writing exercises too! I think I'll eventually do some of them, but right now, I'm really trying to focus on reading. I also read, "The Coast of Good Intentions". It's by Michael Byers, a teacher at Michigan, a place I'm really interested in going to grad school for an MFA. The book is a collection of stories, and all of them were really interesting. It was really about these characters, all in the dullest stages of their lives, and finally finding peace within those stages. At least, that's how I read it. The last story has a line saying, "it was a small life and, he thought, a good one." I think this really describes the entire collection. Throughout the collection, there are stories of old and young, women and men, first and third person, going through divorce, death, and sorrow. It's really interesting, and I would recommend it to anyone.

That's really all I have to say. :D

1 comment:

Moria said...

I'm glad you're having a good time :)