Saturday, August 29, 2009

First Week plus

Okay, so I've been at college for two weeks now. The first week was filled with working and band parties (plus the band barbeque), but the second week is full of classes. I'm taking 20 credit hours, which is a lot less than 22, but it still feels crazy.

I'm taking music theory and eartraining as always, but I feel like they're two different classes and one thing I was really looking forward to was it being the same class with Davis just five days a week. Ugh. But I guess I'll strive for that next semester. I do love Boge, though. And I absolutely love my class. It's Alex, Ryan, Luke and I all hanging out in a small corner in the back. It's glorious. Sightsinging with Davis might actually kill me, since I'm completely lost already. But I'm going to talk to him after class on Tuesday to ask him if there's any way he could help me.

Lessons/Studio is going to be insane. For studio, I have to know scales, our exercise book, an unaccompanied piece, and a flute choir song piece. I'm really excited for the unaccompanied piece, though, because I feel like part of the studio, unlike last year. For studio, I'm working on this really pretty madrigal. I'm also working on scales and arpeggios. Then I have an etude I'm working on, which is nice, 'cause I actually like my etudes. One thing I need to get better at is my sound. Ugh. And sightreading. I'm really hoping to sightread more this semester.

My piano class is really small. There are only 10 of us, but only 6 of us were there on Thursday because Marching Band had a game to be at. It was really nice. I love playing the piano so much. Again, sightreading sucks! :-\

My theatre class is going to be so fun. I have to read two plays this weekend, though, and that won't be fun. haha. But, I love the people in the class, I absolutely love my teacher, and I'm going to love doing the THE 103 requirement along with it (it's our theatre lab :D).

My English class is going to be interesting. One thing I hate about the english department is that the classes are so big. Especially with the new budget cuts. So our class has 40 people in it and it's supposed to be a small discussion group based off American writings between the two world wars. I have to re-read The Great Gatsby this weekend, which is really exciting, because I love that book. I also really like my teacher. She's little and cute. haha. She's also my academic advisor.

Econ class is really interesting. I love my teacher and I love the way the class works. He picks someone to pick on for a bit and asks them about economics, then comments on people's likes and ums and yeahs (though, we haven't had any um tallies on the board yet, like and yeah are at like 50 haha). The girls say all the likes and the boys say all the yeahs. I haven't gotten the book yet, but I think I'm just going to share with Ryan, because I really don't have much money.

Latin class is going to be my hardest. I'm actually getting tutoring help from the Undergrad Assistant this weekend and hopefully for the rest of the semester. I'm just really nervous. I need a language requirement, but I'm so bad with languages. I like English. It works for me :D

Student Managing takes up pretty much my entire life. I love everyone I've met so far, though. There are 12 of us, and we're all pretty much amazing. The work we do is great, because I don't have to stand in the same area for four hours, and the full timers actually talk to me. Also, the students come to me for questions! YAY! I don't always know the answer, but I'm learning fast.

I have three songs for steel band. Which means I don't meet that often but I still get to be in band! For this week, I have to be there Tuesday from 7:45-8:15, then Thursday from like 8:15-9:15 (the class is an hour and a half long, so they do a song per half hour). So yay! Plus, I lost my mallets at Scott Hall. haha. Someone else in Steel Band found them for me :D And now we're friends! haha. Actually, I should make him PotW :D haha. I don't know what number we're on, though.

This whole peer mentoring program is going crazy, but I love it. I've had dinner with John, lunch with David, and another dinner with Maggie. Then yesterday I took five people out of my ten person group to Bagel and Deli. Maggie, David, Allison, Liz, and Dylan. I love all of them :D So yay!

My musical theatre learning has gone down soooo much. I haven't learned a new musical in ages. I haven't listened to music as much (stupid school time). :-\

The Proctor's table is back up! I haven't had a chance to sit at it for a long period of time, but trust me, I will. haha. I love everyone so much :D I love college. College is absolutely amazing. I love the atmosphere, the people, the classes, the everything. I'm so glad to be back here.

1 comment:

Tim Parenti said...

Ah, yes. The beginning of school. Another one of those rituals we're stuck with.

Good to see you're getting right back into the swing of things, despite the recent setbacks!

shies - aw, how cute...