Sunday, October 12, 2008

Teardrops on My Guitar

The song has nothing to do with the post, but it's a song that's been stuck in my head for a while.

I really don't have much to say. My music classes are going amazingly. I'm so glad I can keep music in my life while still graduating with two majors. I have Phyllis Mendenhall to thank for that one- she's the best advisor EVER! She's the English Education advisor, and I <3 her and her amazing advice. She has me thinking about student teaching abroad.

I love being an education major. I know I said I would hate it, but it's nice. I'm doing an America Reads program now and I love teaching the children how to read. I'm not in any education classes this semester, though my ENG 226 (Intro to Creative Writing) counts as my required creative writing course for the major. The Miami Program teaches AYA English majors to teach creative writing, literature, communications, and journalism. I've learned that Miami is one of the top Ohio schools for education, so that's really nice. If you graduate from here, as long as you do everything right, you're pretty much guaranteed a job somewhere. Also, if you go here as a graduate student, you can get your masters in education for free tuition if you are a TA, which since this is such a focused school for undergraduates, you can easily get a masters here in education while being a TA. So I'm way excited for that.

It means I'll be here for five and a half years, which means I might be wasting half a semester doing nothing since schools don't start until September, but maybe I'll take some classes and get a masters in creative writing as well, since I'd be going for free anyways. I don't know how long that takes. haha. I just wish I could live a double life. One where I teach and one where I write. I know I can't successfully do both. Bah. Lame. I know someone who's mom is 40 with 11 degrees. I don't have the money for that, but if I did, I can tell you right now that would be me. haha. Either way, I TA for tuition. Creative Writing it's required to be a TA for English composition, but I don't know why it wouldn't be for Education.

Basically, I know I'm gonna graduate from Miami with at least a graduate degree in something, allowing me to teach English. haha.

I'm doing a ton of things for my education major right now, but nothing for english, so I'm going to start going to Inklings meetings, and maybe that'll help me get more involved. I really need to find out who my advisor in that is so I can start sending stuff to literary journals and magazines for publication, since I need to be nationally published for my major. :-\

One thing my friend Jenni and I are doing is Nanowrimo. It's something all creative writing majors are encouraged to do, and while I knew about it back like junior year, I never did it because I never thought I could. Well, this year, I'm doing it. They say it's easier to keep goals when you tell lots of people and have a buddy with the same goal. Well, I'm doing both, so we'll see how it goes!

I really want to do a thematic sequence in theater so that I could also be applicable to teach theater (writing), but I simply do not have time for it. But I might be able to do a linguistics thematic sequence or something? haha. I don't know yet, but I'm trying to figure out some sort of thematic sequence because I sort of have to figure that out....like soon.

2 comments:

Moria said...

ok well to start with...i LOVE that song:D. You sound like you have a lot on your plate miss Andrea, but you seem to be having an amazing time too:p I might consider that Nanowrimo thing depending on my schedule to see if I would even have time to finish it:\

Tim Parenti said...

NaNoWriMo? Good luck!

You should put one of their progress widgets in your sidebar so we can cheer you on (and of course, I'm open to help).